Aimee, my parents, and tons of volunteers have been a Godsend. Erika is probably the best housecleaner I know, but these people are like machines! They keep up with the laundry and dishes on a daily basis, and are always looking for ways to keep the house clean and keep Erika comfortable. THANK YOU!! I've been able to return to work all week, which (as you might imagine) is kind of important - although I'd rather be at home taking care of Erika. Erika is doing okay, but the recovery is slow going for now.
Every 12 hours Erika gets loaded up with Lyrica, Dylantin, Keppra, and Zantac. Then, she is also taking Oxycodon and Super Tylenol for pain. All of this results in some really creative dreams. Top 3:
- Giant rabbits with huge (terrifying) fuzzy ears
- Feeling that she is flying whenever she closes her eyes
- Mary Poppins Spoonful of Sugar (repeating continuously)
Erika wants everyone to know that she has had the glorious privelege of taking hot showers with lots and lots of nice soap. Still can't wash the hair completely (staples come out Friday), but after 9 days, soap and water in the shower is a beautiful thing.
I know the ACC tournament is this weekend, and we (I) are really excited to watch some basketball. But, we got some really exciting news today: Erika's pathology report came back! The tumor is not cancer! (Erika wanted this purple) For the medically minded, here is the actual diagnosis:
HYPERCELLULAR BRAIN TISSUEFrom what I understand, this is a low-grade/benign/slow growth tumor that developed as a result of a not-fully formed cellular structure in the brain while Erika was still in the womb. This is a very rare event, and Erika does not show any signs of any other disorders related to this hypercellular brain tissue. So, really great news! We'll be going for follow up to the Brain Tumor Center in April.
COMMENT: The frozen section slide exhibits features of a low-grade glioma but
they are not apparent on the permanent sections. The NeuN might suggest the
possibility of a migrational disorder. If this is a glioma it is low-grade.
Hurray for the great pathology report!!! I can't tell you how glad I am about that. Here's hoping the glassy-eyed, super relaxed phase is over quickly. Anything you need, just holler.
ReplyDeleteThat's great news. We're excited that the report was so positive.
ReplyDeleteGo Wolfpack!
Hey Rich and Erika--
ReplyDeleteWe are so bummed to be infectious for so long and not have the girls over to play. We are so thrilled that there's no cancer!
You two are amazing. My dad had a kidney transplant a long time ago, and after he died we found out that one of the medications he was on altered personality so much, especially in combination with other drugs, that they removed it from the market. It explained so much about my dad and his mood swings, etc...
Sam thought that Erika seemed quite like herself, so I'm assuming once even more of the medication is gone, she'll be completely back to normal and so will the kids.
We love you guys.
The Eyres
So glad to hear the good news. Hope recovery continues to improve. Best Wishes.
ReplyDeleteSusan Forsgren
I just came across your blog this afternoon and have spent the last hour catching up on everything. I am so amazed at how upbeat you both are! I have been crying tears of joy for all the progress and good news. (Thank you pregnancy hormones for magnifying my emotions.) But, seriously you guys are amazing and inspiring. We will keep your family in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteKikka & Travis
That is GREAT news!!! Hooray! And staples out friday too - I know you won't miss those much! ;)
ReplyDeleteHURRAY!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is such great news! We have been monitoring your blog while Erica was in the hospital and our thoughts have been with you for the past few weeks. So it is awesome to hear that she is feeling better, at home, and that doggone tumor ain't comin' back! You guys are amazing at how well you seemed to take this all in stride!
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Amber and Derek
YAY!!! What great news!
ReplyDeleteWHEW...sigh of relief! I'm so happy the results came back good! Here's to a happy and very HEALTHY recovery!!!
great news about the tumor. we are so glad that things are turning out good for yall. thank you for getting us post with your blog! we love you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat news guys! Get well soon...we can't wait to see you guys again.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mollie and Kyle
I am glad to hear the good news that it's not a tumor. And sorry all the meds make you feel like you are flying. I am sure that sucks. I wish you fast recovery and I am glad there were so many people around to help.
ReplyDelete