Tonight we got to call 911 for the first time. Okay, so maybe the time that Miles phoned them counts, but this was the first real emergency call that we had to make. Moose was choking on a piece of candy (I am not feeling like such a winning mother as I write this post) and couldn't breathe past a little wheeze. I called 911 and had to talk to the dispatcher while Rich tried to calm our little guy. It felt like forever, but he eventually coughed and was so thrilled when the candy was dislodged. He yelled, "I did it!" The dispatcher was so nice and after laughing a little at Miles' antics, we hung up. Although she called the paramedics and told them that all was well, they still came to the house to check and make sure that he was all right. What a thrill to have the fire truck and 3 firemen come to the door! The paramedics were unbelievably nice, asking Miles if he wanted to come and check out the fire truck. He was feeling a little bit shy and so we just watched from the front porch. We're happy to say that Moose is all right although I had shaky hands and was a bit of a mess for a little while. Whew, what an evening!
Monday, August 2, 2010
911 Alert!
Tonight we got to call 911 for the first time. Okay, so maybe the time that Miles phoned them counts, but this was the first real emergency call that we had to make. Moose was choking on a piece of candy (I am not feeling like such a winning mother as I write this post) and couldn't breathe past a little wheeze. I called 911 and had to talk to the dispatcher while Rich tried to calm our little guy. It felt like forever, but he eventually coughed and was so thrilled when the candy was dislodged. He yelled, "I did it!" The dispatcher was so nice and after laughing a little at Miles' antics, we hung up. Although she called the paramedics and told them that all was well, they still came to the house to check and make sure that he was all right. What a thrill to have the fire truck and 3 firemen come to the door! The paramedics were unbelievably nice, asking Miles if he wanted to come and check out the fire truck. He was feeling a little bit shy and so we just watched from the front porch. We're happy to say that Moose is all right although I had shaky hands and was a bit of a mess for a little while. Whew, what an evening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh guys, so glad everything is ok! I remember this happened to Shaun when he was Miles' age, it was super scary. Somehow he had sucked a candy bar wrapper down his windpipe. Karissa reached her fingers down his throat and could barely reach something with the tips of her fingers and pulled out a full size candy bar wrapper!! Yikes!!
ReplyDeleteNow that I think about it, this also happened to Natalie when she was 3. I held her upside down and patted her back hard and she coughed up a penny!! Scary!
P.S. Moose = cutest nickname ever! :) :)
What an evening is right! Wow, I'm so glad things quickly turned out for the better. Hooray for Moose!
ReplyDeleteThe things kids will do to see a firetruck. Smart little guy ;)
ReplyDeleteThis happened to me when I was a kid. I still get nervous eating hard candy =) Glad Miles is alright.
ReplyDelete