About mid-way through the day on Saturday, the doctors and nurses started shifting from "yes, let's send her home" to "we probably should keep her here another night". So, we geared up for Erika staying over another night. She was still pretty lethargic, but it could have been linked to some Phenergen that she was given on Friday night for nausea. She is very sensitive to Phenergen (we've tried it home during pregnancy before, and she was out for the whole day), so it's likely a combination of that and the pain, etc. She didn't anything but 2 crackers and we walked about 50 ft before she needed to be back in bed resting.
About 2:30 am this morning I got a call from Erika's nurse with an update. I had noticed Erika started having some difficulty with recalling some words before I left last night. Overnight they did some testing and Erika was having a lot of difficulty with speech. (The tumor was just under one of her speech areas) She was also having some memory problems. For examples: she couldn't identify the tv, couldn't remember the month, couldn't tell you the name of something when you pointed to it (clock, tv, light), and wasn't able to remember the names of Aydan, Regan, and Miles. This really concerned the doctors and nurses, because this was a marked decline from her high level of speech and comprehension. They are observing that her comprehension is still good, and can explain what something does - even if she can't name it. They did a CT scan and found some internal bleeding, but they think it is controllable. They greatly increased her steroid doses to try and reduce the swelling as well. They are testing blood cultures and basically giving her a full work over to make sure there are no infections as well. She had a minor fever of 101.5, but that has since decreased to 99.8 with the medicine she is on.
So, we are having a bit of a setback. She will likely stay in the hospital through Monday night so they can continue to monitor these complications.
Rich
We hope and pray that the bleeding and swelling will be controlled/stop swiftly and that everything will be back to normal very soon. Do the doctors say this a common temporary side effect with swelling?
ReplyDeleteHang in there Rich and Erika!! This has got to be such an emotional roller coaster. Hugs and love to you both.
Thank you for the update and we're praying for you!!
The Winters
Thanks for the update Rich. We are very hopeful that the bleeding will slow down soon and comprehension will come back. Erika you are very strong to go through this! We are praying for you. -Randall & Carine
ReplyDeleteHey Rich and Erika--
ReplyDeleteWe are continually praying for you both and the whole ward has you on their minds. Your mom was an incredible grandma at church with all three kids by herself. I watched her playing with a very quiet Miles during Sunday School.
We hope and pray all well be well as soon as possible.
We will call to see when Aydan and Regan can come over to play.
love
the Eyres
Thanks everyone. I noticed last night as I was driving home that sometimes I can feel pretty alone going through this, even though there are so many wonderful and helpful people that continue to offer and give help.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to be able to read your comments and support.
Rich, you are so nice to take the time to keep us all updated. It really helps to have information to know what to specifically pray for. We love you guys.
ReplyDeleteRich, I wish Cletus and I had kept up with you and Erika better than we have so that you might be more likely to let us help in some way. But, here we are if you need us! We live close and would love to have the priviledge of helping with food, kids, cleaning, or anything else. I tried to look up your number, but couldn't find it. Keep up your good attitude; I'm sure it is difficult carrying things by yourself for awhile. We love you both and you are in our prayers. I know you have lots of family around, but please call us if we can do anything to help out (971-5471).
ReplyDeleteThanks for updating. You both are in our prayers. I'm sending good thoughts from Columbus, Ohio. I'm sure there has been a lot of good fasting going on today around the country for you guys.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
ReplyDeleteYou continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the updates.
ReplyDeleteHey Rich and Erika,
ReplyDeleteI found your blog link on Heather's and I can't believe all you're going through. I know this must be a very scary and trying time, but hang in there and know that LOTS of people (even ones you haven't seen in forever) are thinking of you, praying for you, and wishing you the best. Erika, you haven't changed a bit in 10 years- beautiful as EVER!!
We are praying for Erika and also for the whole family! How amazing and strong you all are. I wish we lived closer so we could help. But please know that all of our thoughts and prayers are with you now!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the updates.